Friday, February 1, 2008

THANKS DAD

My father would say to me "Boy, don't do it half ass. Do it, and do it right!"

I would always laugh inside when he said that because those words just sounded funny to me; "Half ...Ass"? You try coming up with an image for that and see if you don't crack a smile. However, anytime I began a task, his words would ring in my head, my hands and my heart. No matter what it was, whether I liked what I was doing or not, I had to do it to the best of my ability. I didn't want to ever live up to such a low distinction, and image as "half ass."

My father's words gave me a foundation to create standards for myself and recognize standards, or the lack there of, in others. I began to easily recognize people who were lazy and uninterested because I used to be both. I began to truly appreciate a good day of work, and how productive I felt at the end of it. Most importanty I came to truly see how my high standards and good work could impact others. I was able to brighten someone's day with a lawn well mowed, or helping someone with their groceries or even reciting a poem I had learned in school. It seemed that whenever I did my best others would benefit too!

I'm sure my father didn't fully appreciate how profound and prophetic he was being at the time- but just a few days ago I was teaching my son how to do some work around the house and I found myself explaining to him what "half ass" was and why it would never apply to him.

Thanks Dad.

No comments: